Banners

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The New Upper Corner

The theme for this year:
OWL
Outstanding, Wonderful Learners

     I have been working so hard on making my room more student friendly.  My first year I was hired a week before school started with training from 7-4 everyday and the alarm went on at 11.  Last year I was hired Wednesday at noon.  Had training all day on Thursday and the kids came on Friday.  So... I have had SO much fun thinking about my room and my kids and how I can make it the best I can for them!  I am looking forward to sharing my classroom with you all!

I wanted a place where my students could show off their own work.  I hate that I used to choose what went on display in the hallway.  It should be the students choice of what the public sees.



 I am using a lot of technology in my classroom this year.  I had the 4th graders fill out "Get to know you" Facebook forms before school got out in May.  I have this display up in the hallway.
Writing anchor charts will be displayed here.  I love the banner I ordered from ETSY.

I need to be better about giving the students a heads up on what is going on throughout the week.  We have to have our objectives posted daily.  Since I don't have a white board, I have been laminating construction paper and I can just use a dry-erase marker.

Here is one of my comfy corners.  Extra supplies are in the netting.  I scored this chair for free from a friend.  I love friends that are willing to help out teachers!

Here is a spot where anchor charts can be displayed.  I am thinking that once the anchor charts are off the easel, they will be on the wall while we are still using that skill.  When we are done with the skill, they can be displayed here and students can refer to them when they need to. 
(Magnetic curtain rod from Target.)

What's for lunch?  My lunch count still needs labels but it is almost complete.  I am having a homework club this year.  I hope it will encourage some of the struggling students this year.  I am also trying the PENCIL CHALLENGE this year.  Check it out on Pinterest if you are interested.
I have bins ready with the pencils numbered.  I also have red pins ready as well.  I want every student to have the option to be prepared and ready to start class.

When the office calls to tell me something, I more often than not forget to tell the correct student.  So, I have made this into a white board so it is easy for even students to write reminders on the board.  It is also over a cork board and I could even pin up notes.

Supplies are organized and ready to go!

On this bulletin board we will display pictures of our learning and thinking.  The pictures can be captured either by myself or the students. I am going to try to print pictures every two weeks.

I am planning on using my Twitter board as my exit tickets or check for understanding.  We will also have a Twitter account as a class.

That small filing cabinet and pull out trays have become my desk.  I have taken myself out of the room in order to give my students the space they need to succeed.  Here is our whole group meeting area.
The beanbags are from another friend willing to help out a teacher!

I'm planning on doing a whole genre unit at the beginning of school and reorganizing my library while the kids work their way through the books.

I had to figure out a new system for students who are absent.  I am hoping this system works.

I also had to figure out a system so there are not so many "no name" papers.  I am hoping this system will cute down a lot of it.

Our CAFE Board

Our mailbox system.

Here is our small group meeting area.  I choose to use stools because I can get more in my group this way.

My back counter is ready for Meet Your Teacher on Tuesday night.

A view of the room from one corner.  I know I shared a lot but I hope you enjoyed it.  I didn't want to be to wordy on any picture but if you have any questions, suggestions, or recommendations for my classroom, I would love to hear them.





No comments:

Post a Comment