Banners

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

We're not in Kansas Anymore

     I laugh as I read new mom posts on Facebook this summer.  There have been so many firsts for so many babies this summer.  Well, I have had several firsts for myself this summer.  

Here are a few:

         1. Attended All-Write Conference
         2. Read my first professional development books
         3. Attended my first EdCamp
         4. Tackled babysitting three kids ages 1, 3, and 5
         5. Had a whole summer to plan and revaluate for 
             the next school year
         6. Started a blog

     I am currently attending an eLearning conference at my school district.  It is quite different than the All-Write conference.  Now, I know, that they will be different because they are covering different topics.  The thing is though; they are both covering a lot of technology and introducing it into your classroom.  The difference I see is, hardly any one is posting to Twitter.  Hardly any one here belongs to the blogging world.  Last but certainly not least, I am not being "star struck" by other bloggers or authors.  

     Now, I realize I am new to this world as well, so I am not judging.  I just feel like this summer, I have been trapped in this "new world" that I have jumped into.  Now, I realize there are not to many people in that world around me.  I sent a text to one of my co-teachers, Leigh Anne, yesterday and said, "Isn't this so different than the All-Write Conference."  Her response was, "We're not in Kansas anymore."

     I understand that I'm not in Kansas, and maybe I am not fully ready to be in Kansas, but I am willing to start my journey.  I cannot wait to form new friendships and continue to learn from other bloggers out there.

9 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blog world Kristen! I had to laugh at Leigh Anne's response. All Write is special because you do get a chance to meet and talk to people that you "know" from reading their blogs.
    Thanks for your kind words on my blog. It was great fun to meet you too. Next year too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We are going to come next year and we are also planning on going to NERD camp! We are trying to get others to go to All-Write next year as well! We can't stop talking about it!

      Delete
  2. Great first post, my friend! You are such a terrific teacher and have so much to share. I hope this is just the beginning of your adventure. By the way, I loved being in Kansas. Hopefully we can spread some of that here in Indiana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;-) I am loving blogging! Thank you so much for inspiring me!

      Delete
  3. Welcome to the blogging world! Just discovered your blog through the #cyberPD link-up and will be adding it to my RSS feed. There are so many ways to join and participate in this online community and learn from other teachers. Hoping to get to AllWrite next year. Loved learning from all the tweets and blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited that you are excited to read my blog!!! I recommend All-Write! If my husband told me that I could only attend one conference next summer, that would be the one I choose! (Hopefully, my husband doesn't tell me that though! ;-))

      Delete
  4. I am a follower of Leigh Anne's blog and she was instrumental in supporting my foray into blogging. I am still very much a beginner and can relate to much of what you write. I have always been a big reader, but am only now understanding that I have been a plot junky and that in order to teach kids to read like writers I need to learn how to do this as well. Your blog reads honest, candid, and forthcoming- thank you. I look forward to reading and learning from you and you learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. Leigh Anne is an amazing person! I am lucky to work with her and collaborate with her daily. I may or may not be the problem to her text message limit!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete